First, a word from our sponsor: Today is the last day to pre-order Promise. If you want a signed copy delivered by the release date of July 30, we must have your order by today. Order here.
Ok, now back to regularly scheduled programming: Five for Friday
Book release + dayjob + herd of teens + everyday crap = Very little writing done on Purpose
For my new friends, Purpose is a little over 2/3 written and has been revised, rewritten, edited, proofed, etc.,…until I broke it away into a separate book from Promise. I’ve had to add about 31K words to make it a complete book.
I’m so close to being done…but so far away. And I really need to get it out to critters so I can stay on schedule for a (late) Fall release. I know exactly where the words are going to go and what’s going to happen. I just haven’t had time and focus to put it down.
So, this weekend, I’m doing a writing marathon. I wanted to go and hide out in a hotel room for the weekend, but the funds won’t allow it. So here are five ways I’m going to make this happen:
- Lots of coffee and chocolate.
- Lots of food to keep the herd of teens and the man happy. This includes a big pot of something that they can warm up and eat without bothering me.
- A “Do Not Disturb – I’m Writing” sign on my door.
- Unplugging! No Facebook, no Twitter, not even email. Yikes!!
- A challenge! Taking a page from Anne Riley’s book (not her actual book, of course – I’m not into piracy), I’m challenging my writer friends. Can you write more words than me this weekend? I’ve easily done 25K in a weekend before. I don’t know if I can do it again – it’s not as easy as during the first draft. But I plan to make some serious headway.
Want to play with me? Here’s how it goes:
- Start at 8 p.m. ET tonight (gives us time to get our ducks in a row)
- End at 6 p.m. ET Sunday (gives us time to do other things before True Blood starts LOL)
- Post a comment below that includes your starting word count (as of 8 tonight) and what you think I should do for retribution if someone beats me. I’ll pick one or two of the best ideas and if anyone writes more than me, I’ll follow through (within reason – financially, morally, legally, etc.).
- Come back Sunday night/Monday morning to post your ending word count.
Are you in? I hope so! I need the challenge!